- Canna Butter8
- Sugar1 1/2Can use infused sugar if you want that extra boost.
- Vanilla1In addition, feel free to add 1 tsp of peppermint extract for that candy cane feel.
- All Purpose Flour2 3/4Plus more for dusting.
- Baking Powder1
- Kosher Salt1
- Red and Green Gel Food ColoringIf you are allergic to food coloring or prefer a more natural approach, feel free to use matcha or spirulina powder instead of green food coloring and freeze dried beet, raspberry or strawberry powder instead of red food coloring.
Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Add the remaining dry ingredients and mix until it all comes together. Do not over mix. Divide the dough into three different portions. Shape the plain portion of dough into a disc. Wrap and chill in the refrigerator. Work the red and green food coloring, or powders into the remaining portions. Shape each into a disc. Wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
Remove from refrigerator. Dust your counter top with flour and roll out one of the discs to 1/4″. Dust off any excess flour and set aside. Repeat with the remaining discs. Using your rolling pin, place the pin at the edge of the dough, lift the edge and roll the dough around the pin. Lift the pin and stack the dough onto one of the discs. Repeat so that all three are stacked together. Pressing lightly, roll the pin over the dough on more time to press the doughs together. From here, you can do a few different things.
1. For pinwheels- Trim the edges of the stacked dough to create a rectangle. Keep the trimmings and set aside. Starting from the long side, roll the dough up into a log. Wrap the log tightly in plastic wrap and chill for at least one hour. Toss the trimmings together and roll into a log. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill. These will become tie-dyed cookies.
2. For tie-dyed cookies only- Cut the dough into random pieces and toss together. Roll into a log and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Chill for at least one hour.
3. For striped cookies- Cut the rolled out stack into even strips. Stack the strips on top of each other and press down lightly. Wrap and chill for at least one hour.
For all cookies- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line cookies sheets with parchment paper. Slice the log/stack into 1/4″ slices and place on cookie sheet. Bake for about 12 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through. Cool and enjoy.
This dough can be made a day in advance and kept in the refrigerator until ready for use, or frozen for up to a month.
GF? Substitute the flour 1:1 with Bob’s Red Mill All Purpose Gluten Free Flour.
Feel free to add flavor extracts to any of the doughs to make more complex flavor combinations.
Other natural powders include turmeric, blue butterfly pea powder, freeze dried berries and beets, spices, matcha powder, moringa powder, and adaptogenic mushroom powders.
Don’t just make these for Christmas! Use any gel food color, or natural powders to create different color combinations for all seasons.
Potency and dosage are on you, pal!